Parkinson Society British Columbia (PSBC) offers webinars for people with Parkinson’s, family members, and healthcare professionals. A webinar is an engaging online event where a speaker, or small group of speakers, deliver a presentation to a large audience who participate by actively listening, chatting with other attendees, and/or submitting questions. This allows for participants to attend events from the comfort of their own home or a location of their choice.
PSBC also offers online support groups through our webinar platform. Online support groups provide an opportunity for individuals across the province to connect and support one another throughout their journey.
- PSBC will email login instructions approximately 24 hours in advance of the webinar. The email will be sent to the same email address that was used when registering for the webinar.
- Test your connection in advance of the webinar. Follow the instructions for testing your connection that are sent out with the webinar reminder.
- Please contact us in advance of the webinar if you are having issues by emailing email@example.com. As Parkinson Society BC staff are working from home, we do not have the ability to field technical calls during the live webinar.
- To test your computer now, please follow this link: Test Link.
- If you have not received your webinar instructions, and the session is set to begin within 24 hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PSBC will email login instructions 24 hours in advance of the webinar. The email will be sent to the same email address that was used when registering for the webinar.
- Follow the access link. Follow the access link in the email, or copy and paste it into your web browser's address bar to access the presentation.
- Enter as a Guest. Enter your full name into the guest field, and select the "Enter Room" button. Please enter your first and last name.
- Wait until access is approved. Please wait until the host of the session permits your access to the room. There will be a number of attendees requesting access at the same time and your patience is appreciated.
- Ensure your speakers are on. There will be no dial-in number for audio, so please ensure that your computer speakers are on, or that you are using headphones, to hear the presentation.
After you enter your name and hit "Enter Room", you will see one of the below messages:
“Waiting for Host. The meeting has not yet started. You will be able to access the meeting once the host arrives. Please wait.”
“This is a private meeting. Your request has been sent to the host. Please wait for a response.”
If you see either of these messages, you are in the right place. Please wait to be allowed into the room. If you are not in the room by the start time of the webinar, please close the window and try signing on again.
- Close all other programs on your computer for the best experience.
- Ensure your speakers are enabled (the icon furthest left). Green means that the speakers are on. You can find these icons at the top of your screen, along the purple bar.
- Click on the “raise my hand” icon (furthest right) to raise your hand. This will let the host know you would like to speak.
- Click microphone icon (second from left) to enable your microphone and to speak.
- If you use your microphone during the presentation, be sure to turn down your speakers’ volume to avoid feedback.
- You will not hear any sound before your webinar session starts. Once the webinar has started, the host will do a sound check to make sure everyone can hear.
- Make sure your speakers are turned on or that you have plugged in headphones. If you are unable to hear audio from the presentation, it may be because you have your speakers on mute or the volume too low.
- Make sure that your speakers are enabled (the icon on the further left). Green means that the speakers are on. You can find these icons at the top of your screen, along the purple bar.
If your video is lagging/skipping during the webinar session, there could be multiple reasons for this.
- Close all other applications and programs on your devices when viewing the webinar. If you have other programs or applications open at the same time as viewing the webinar, this will slow the video stream.
- Watch from a device with a wired internet connection, if possible. This will ensure the fastest connection and best viewing experience.
- If you are on Wi-Fi, please try to place your device as close as possible to the internet router.
- Some internet/Wi-Fi is not going to be able to provide the high quality video results that you are looking for. Please keep in mind that we record majority of our webinars and they are available on our website after the webinar session. Past video and event presentations can be found here: Recordings.
If you hear an echo, it's likely because you have more than one window open on your browser playing the webinar.
This means that you have entered the room multiple times, so the same webinar session is running in several browser tabs. Please check your browser to ensure that you have closed all the duplicate webinar tabs, but keep one open so you are still able to view the webinar.
Close all other applications and programs on your devices when viewing the webinar. If you have other programs or applications open at the same time as viewing the webinar, this will slow the video stream.
Once you are in the webinar you will usually see a chat box on the right hand side of your screen. Please feel free to type to other attendees and ask your questions in the box.
Questions or comments may be asked throughout the presentation. Typically, the question and answer period is at the end of the session, but the host will make sure to review all the questions and do their best to get them all answered by the speaker.
Please note that some presentations may have the chat feature disabled.
We record most of our presentations, except where there may be privacy concerns, such as with our support groups. If you were unable to attend the webinar session that you registered for, in most cases you'll be able to find a recording of it within a week of its completion on our website here: Video and Event Presentations.
Is your question not answered above? Please contact us in advance of the webinar if you are having issues by emailing email@example.com. As Parkinson Society BC staff are working from home, we do not have the ability to field technical calls during the live webinar. We appreciate your patience!