Parkinson Society British Columbia is currently seeking volunteer support group facilitators for:
A support group facilitator works to create an environment that is safe and respectful, and where participants feel comfortable sharing their experiences, insight and knowledge with others. A support group facilitator will also assist with the delivery of information, education, and resources for people with Parkinson’s and their caregivers/families.
The facilitator works with the support group to:
- Define their role as a collaborator: the facilitator is not an expert.
- Conduct group meetings in a caring, respectful and compassionate manner.
- Promote the value of empowerment, encouraging individuals to be involved in making decisions about their own care.
- Establish, with input from group participants, a list of ground rules and goals and review the list with the group on a regular basis.
- Foster an opportunity for people to interact with others dealing with similar health concerns; facilitate sharing of experiences living with Parkinson’s.
- Liaise with PSBC staff on behalf of the group.
- Develop and maintain a list of participants’ addresses, phone numbers, and emails.
- Develop a facilitation committee of two or three people sharing responsibilities; Ask for help with coffee, photocopying, room setup, etc.
- Introduce newcomers, explain group guidelines such as confidentiality, and help them connect with group participants.
The group facilitator works with Parkinson Society British Columbia (PSBC) to:
- Support the goals of PSBC in local communities with an emphasis on providing information, support and fellowship for people with Parkinson’s and their families.
- Provide PSBC with updated group lists, including addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses on an annual basis.
- Be guided by the suggestions and decisions of PSBC staff.
- Attend training/education provided by PSBC about Parkinson’s disease and enhancing facilitator’s skills, including quarterly facilitator teleconferences.
For more information about this position, please contact Caroline Wiggins at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-662-3240.