This is a temporary (1 year), part-time (3 days/week) position reporting to the Manager, Education & Support Services.
- To provide and / or support the delivery of information, education and resources for persons with Parkinson’s, their caregivers / families, volunteers, healthcare professionals & facilities providing care to persons with Parkinson’s. This includes researching and maintaining information resources.
- The job activities are conducted in support of the Parkinson Society British Columbia’s (PSBC) mission – to empower the Parkinson’s community in British Columbia through providing resources and services to enable self-management, self-reliance and self-advocacy.
Information and Referral:
- As part of a team, provides first contact, front-line support and information in response to inquiries from people living with Parkinson’s, caregivers / families, volunteers, healthcare professionals and others.
- Researches information and community resources pertinent to people living with Parkinson’s, caregivers / carepartners & healthcare professionals.
- Helps update the PSBC website and resource materials.
- Remains up-to-date with research & related PD news and recommends postings for publication (i.e. social media, GroupLink, Viewpoints).
- Participates in aspects of event planning; attends and assists with events as required.
- Follows the planning documents for each event and manages all logistical aspects as assigned.
- With the team, writes event advertisements (e-blasts, event posters, updates PSBC website accordingly, etc.)
- Provides resources and direction to support groups when required.
- Co-facilitates support groups as needed.
Job Requirements or Qualifications:
- Diploma or degree in social services or health (specific knowledge of Parkinson’s preferred).
- Experience working with people coping with the challenges of living with a chronic health condition.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Experience in helping people from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong listening skills.
- Compassionate and organized questioning skills to identify needs.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, in-person and over the phone.
- Excellent written skills to provide effective support through email and mail.
- Presentation and facilitation skills an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Proficient computer skills: Word, Excel, database systems, Internet, research.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.