About the Role:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Resource Development & Communications, Parkinson Society British Columbia (PSBC) is seeking a Special Events Coordinator to support the execution of our flagship event, Parkinson SuperWalk and third-party fundraising events.
For over 30 years, Parkinson SuperWalk has been the single most important awareness and fundraising event for Parkinson Society British Columbia. On average over 20 communities and 2,000 walkers across the province participate in this event to raise money for research, support services, education, and advocacy. Due to the covid-19 pandemic, the event will be taking place virtually this year.
The ideal candidate must be technologically inclined, have experience in event planning, and an interest in the not-for profit or healthcare sector. They must be able to keep track of, and manage, a large volume of tasks and quickly changing priorities. Strong attention to detail and strict record keeping is imperative.
This position will be part-time at 21 hours per week (Tuesday – Thursday, 8:30am – 4:30pm) from April 6, 2021 until April 30, 2021, with evaluation for an increase in hours beginning May 3, 2021 until September 12, 2021. The successful candidate must also be available on Saturday, September 11 & Sunday, September 12 to support Parkinson SuperWalk event(s).
Staff are currently working remotely, however, some flexibility is required for in-person work to assist with promotional material preparation and mailing.
About Parkinson Society British Columbia:
Since 1969, Parkinson Society British Columbia has served to support British Columbians affected by Parkinson's disease. Our mission is to: Empower the Parkinson’s community in British Columbia through providing resources and services to enable self-management, self-reliance, and self-advocacy.
The Society is a non-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We are supported by donations from individuals, members, corporations, foundations, and the dedicated efforts of volunteers.
Duties of the Special Events Coordinator:
For Parkinson SuperWalk, the individual will assist with all event logistics as required including:
- Assisting with the preparation of registration & donation reports for year over year comparison
- Updating SuperWalk materials for 2021, based on templates produced in previous years
- Answering and assisting with inquiries including registration and donation issues
- Organizing, packing, and mailing materials to participants
- Maintaining up-to-date inventory of materials
For Third-Party/Independent Fundraising Events, the individual will assist with:
- Liaising and coordinating event details with event organizers
- Coordinating, tracking, and distributing special event kits and promotional materials
- Attending fundraising events to assist with on-site tasks, as needed
- At least two years experience in event planning, preferably with multi-location events
- Familiarity with customer relationship management (CRM) software, including Raiser’s Edge
- Knowledge of peer-to-peer fundraising, experience with TeamRaiser an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, while demonstrating compassion and sensitivity to vulnerable populations
- Able to communicate professionally, both in written and verbal form, including in sensitive situations, while maintaining confidentiality
- Experience and comfort in managing interactions with varying personalities; uses sound judgment in escalating matters of concern
- Extremely detail oriented, organized, and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Technologically oriented; with training, must be able to utilize existing project management platform(s)
- High level of experience in utilizing computer software applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat (using PDFs) and PowerPoint; must also have experience completing mail merges
- Experience working in health-related fields, in non-profits or with a senior population an asset
- Physically able to lift/carry moderate weight (~15lbs)
Please submit your resume and cover letter by Friday, March 19, 2021 at 12:00pm to:
Senior Manager, Resource Development & Communications
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.