Parkinson Society British Columbia (PSBC) aims to provide opportunities for individuals who wish to pursue a career involving Parkinson’s disease (PD) through our Continuing Education Scholarship Program for Exercise Instructors & Healthcare Professionals. This scholarship was established to assist people who have a passion to gain PD specific training and bring these benefits to the BC PD community.
Scholarships are open to any professional interested in working with this population. The panel will choose applicants who demonstrate a strong commitment to supporting those with PD through long-term community engagement and programming.
Six scholarships up to $1000.00 will be awarded in 2019.Three applicants will be chosen for each deadline. Deadlines for the scholarship program are:
- March 31st, 2019
- September 15th, 2019
Scholarships will be awarded based on financial need. Awards may include coverage for the registration fee, transportation and/or accommodation. Special consideration given to applicants living in communities with limited community resources for people with Parkinson’s
The Scholarship Program is funded solely by Parkinson Society British Columbia and will be awarded with great discretion. Scholarships are awarded upon successful training completion. Training must be completed within the calendar year and all receipts must be submitted before year end to receive scholarship reimbursement.
- Individuals holding a 2 to 4-year degree in health, exercise science, recreation or physical activity with 2 years of experience in the field
- Certified Personal Trainers, Group Fitness Instructors, Speech Language Pathologists, Physiotherapists, Physiotherapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants
- Ability to provide certification of qualifications upon request
- Currently working with a Parkinson’s clientele
Selection criteria - to be considered, the applicant must submit/demonstrate the following:
- A completed application form outlining:
- the applicant's rationale for attending desired training
- his/her plan to implement training skills in their community and surrounding communities
- his/her interest in and involvement with Parkinson’s community
- Two reference letters – one being from a person with Parkinson’s (PwP)
- Special consideration given to applicants living in communities with limited community resources for people with Parkinson’s
- Applicant agrees to provide classes on a sliding scale basis for individuals needing financial assistance
- Applicant agrees to include PSBC’s logo on marketing materials
- Applicant agrees to offer classes for at least two years after completing the training
Payout Protocol - to be paid the scholarship amount, the applicant must submit the following:
- Proof of registration
- Copy of receipts for travel/accommodation/food
- Proof of training completion
*Please note: Training must be completed within the calendar year and all receipts must be submitted before December 31, 2019 in order to receive scholarship reimbursement.
To submit an application or for further information, please contact Caroline Wiggins, one of our Programs & Services Co-Manager, at email@example.com or 1.800.668.3330.